St. Richard's Parish was established in 1946 as the Mission Church by Father Joseph McCaffrey of St. Canicus, Mahanoy City, PA. Services were held in Ryan Twp Fire Company, Lakewood ballroom and the Lakewood Tennis club building. In October 1950 Cardinal Dougherty established the Mission as a full-fledged parish under the direction of Fr. Edwin Horn.
Two acres of land with a house to be used as a rectory was given by the Guinan family. Archbishop John F. O'Hara gave permission to build a new Church and designate St. Richard of Chichester whose feast day is April 3rd.
The construction contract was awarded to Whalen Brothers of Pottsville and the architectural plans were done by Luis Gambone of Philadelphia.
Ground was broken in July 1954 by Fr Dunn, Fr. Whalen and Mrs. Julia Guinan. Despite severe winter weather, work was completed and the first mass held on Easter Sunday 1955.
The dedication and laying of the cornerstone took place on Sunday July 3, 1955. Solemn Mass was celebrated by Bishop J. Carroll McCormick, Auxiliary Bishop of Philadelphia with eight priests assisting.
Rev. Edward McElduff
Rev. Joseph Whalen
Rev. Joseph Sobiesiak
Rev. Paul Puza
Current Pastor: Rev. Joseph Whalen
Copyright © 2017 St Richard Church - Barnesville, PA - All Rights Reserved.